Rolled Buttermilk Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in enough buttermilk just to moisten dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 3-4 times. Pat or roll to 3/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place in a large ungreased cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet.
- Brush with milk. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes.
1 biscuit: 162 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 412mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk