This is my mama’s recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Pour 1/2 cup melted butter into an 8-in. square baking dish. In a small bowl, combine flour, 1 cup sugar, milk and vanilla until blended; pour into prepared dish. In another bowl, combine blackberries, remaining 1/2 cup sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter; toss until combined. Spoon over batter.
- Bake until topping is golden brown and fruit is tender, 45-50 minutes. Serve warm.
Test Kitchen tip
- Be sure to disperse the berry mixture evenly and all the way to the edges of the dish.
3/4 cup: 491 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 421mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups fresh blackberries or frozen unsweetened blackberries