- Preheat oven to 425°. In a small saucepan, saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil until tender; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and remaining oil. Stir in corn, cheese, salsa, chives and reserved onion. Stir into the dry ingredients just until combined.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and top is lightly browned, 20-25 minutes. Cut into squares; serve warm.
1 piece: 229 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons minced